In part one of this series, Be Productive: Take a Break you learned how important it is for ADHD adults and other Creative Geniuses to recognize when it’s productive to take a break. Yesterday, I discussed the science behind re-energizing your brain. Today, I have a list of possible break activities you can use to get your second wind. Every one of them is better for you than watching TV or playing a video game. Hopefully, these will inspire you:
- Short 20-minute nap
- Vigorous exercise, such as a brisk walk around the block
- Activities you enjoy such as Sudoku, office-chair chariot races
- Laughing – read a joke, watch a very funny short video
- Read for enjoyment
- Listen to music
- Better still, listen to music as you play air guitar or air drums
- Draw or do something creative
- If you’re extroverted, chat with a friend (co-ordinate breaks so you’re not disturbing people!)
- Meditate (if it energizes you)
- Play a musical instrument for one song
- Stretch, yoga, Tai Chi
- Visualization – imagine yourself on the beach, on a water slide, parachuting…
- Deep breathing
- Drink water
- Journal rant – write what you’re feeling and thinking – get it out of your system
- Dreamscape – think of your dream vacation, dream house, your dream date (McDreamy or McSteamy for any of you Grey’s Anatomy fans)…
- Walk to other parts of the building where you work and visit
Years ago when I still had a job, for a break a bunch of us decided to see how many people we could fit in our über small coffee closet. Weird, I know, but we had fun and while we were crammed together, we started talking, others began to entertain. By the way, we fit 26 people in a 15 square foot place.
Be creative and have fun!
How Can You Use This Tip Today?
- Choose from these or hopefully get inspired to find your own productive break activities and schedule time in your day for these types of breaks when you run out of steam. You’ll be amazed what happens.
- Choose a personal activity you’d like to do in the evening and see how you feel.
- Let me know how it goes; write your comments below, and please share your ideas as well.
4 thoughts on “20 ADHD-Friendly Ways to Re-Energize Your Brain”
kids love water slides, they go crazy about it “”
when i was a kid, i really enjoyed going up and down on water slides, it is a very enjoyable experience ~:”
In related news, a caddy found a golf ball at the end of the fairway that he claimed belonged to Tiger Woods because it had a picture of his mistress on it. When questioned about it, Tiger looked at the ball with the picture and replied, â€œYeah, I hit that.â€
Hey there, I ran across your web site via Yahoo while looking for a related topic, your web site showed up, it seems like fine. I have saved it inside my google bookmark